We're not a travel agency,
we live here.
Remind password
Extended search
Our prices for services are not above the direct appeal "on the spot", but even lower
Complete packages:
Everything at once
All the best for children
VIP Tour
Party tour
Sex only
Helpful information
How to get to Koh Samui
Transport at Samui
Property for sale on Samui

Do I need visa to go to Thailand?


Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?
Do I need visa to go to Thailand?

Well, depends on a purpose of your visit. If you are planning a vacation for thirty days or less - most likely you don't. There are 41 countries who's citizens can enter Thailand on a "30 day stamp". You can easily check if your country is on that list here.
You will receive a Visa upon Arrival at the airport as soon as you cross the border. It is free and hassle-free as well.
They will probably ask you where you attend to stay (name of a hotel, friend's address, booking confirmation if you got one will do the trick). If you decide to stay longer (that thought crossed my mind once or twice during my visit), then you can extend you visa up to 7 days in a local Immigration Office for 1900 baht (about 60 US dollars or 40 GBP). Worst case scenario - you stayed too long without proper procedure of Immigration Office visitation - you will end up paying overstay fee. However, I wouldn't push it too far...

There are people that stay in Thailand for years under tourist visa. Kingdom of Thailand doesn't limit amounts of visits you can do. So, you can leave Thailand and take a short trip across border to Laos, Burma, Cambodia or Malaysia and get a 15 day visa ("visa upon arrival" given at the airport is good for 30 days, but if you are travelling by land - only 15). Local patrol doesn't get surprised if they see you leave and then come back in half-hour. It is possible that they may not allow you to come back, but such scenario is highly unlikely.

Now a little bit about other visas available:
- Tourist visa for 60 days
- Transit Visa
- Non-Immigrant 90 days Visa
- Non-Immigrant Business Visa
- Education
- Retirement
- Permanent Resident
Attention: your visa expires in 30, 60 or 90 days from the day of your arrival to Thailand, not from the date your visa was issued.

Most common type of Visa is a Tourist Visa. It can be issued for 30 or 60 days and can be extended for 30 more days at the Immigration Office for 1900 baht.
Required documents for Tourist Visa are:
- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
- Visa application form completely filled out
- One recent (4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant
- Air ticket or e-Ticket paid in full
- Financial means (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)
- Consular officers reserve the rights to request for additional documents as deemed necessary

You can also get Double-entry Visa and you will be able to stay in Thailand up to 6 month.
Here is how it works: First entry gives you a right to stay for up to 60 days, then you extend it for 30 more days at the local Immigration Office for 1900 Baht, then you'll have to leave country and re-enter with a new stamp that allows you to stay another 60 days with another extension for 30 more days. A total of 180 days.
Single-entry visa cost 1000 Baht, double - entry cost 2000 Baht.

Non-Immigrant 90 Days Visa allows:
- Single entry into Thailand (one visa for one entry)
- Valid for stay for a period of 90 days from date of entry
- Able to extend in Thailand for additional days at the local Immigration Office
- Ability to apply for work permit in Thailand
- Ability to open bank account in Thailand

Business Visa
- Valid for use for 1 calendar year
- Allows multiple entries
- Valid for stay for 90 days per entry from date of arrival
- Able to apply for work permit
- Able to apply for 1 year extension of stay
- Able to open a bank account

Education Visa:
To get this visa you will need a valid passport that does not expire before the end of your intended stay in Thailand and a letter from the admissions department stating that you have registered as a student during the period you wish to be in Thailand.
Also, you may enter the country with a non-immigrant visa and then get an extension and change a status of your visa to Ed Visa by providing documentation from your school or college. With Ed Visa you won't have to leave country every three month. All you have to do is bring documents that will prove that you are a student. This type of Visa can be obtained up to 10 times.

Retirement “O-A" Visa can be obtained by people of age 50 or older.
- 50 years old of age or older
- Passport (at least 1 year remaining until expiration)
- Holding the nationality or permanent residence of country of application
- Proof of meeting financial requirement
- Bank letter showing funds or pension statement

Usually you will need to get a 90 day Non-Immigrant Visa and then extend it to one year by converting your tourist visa to O-A Retirement visa, for which you will need:
- Passport - copies of every page. Each copy must be signed by applicant
- Non-Immigrant Visa
- Departure Card TM.6
- Proof of meeting financial requirement*
- Thailand Bank book (original)
- Letter from your Thai Bank
- Medical Certificate (health exam administered by doctor at first class hospital)
* - Bank account showing 800,000 Baht
- Monthly income of at least 65,000 Baht
- Combination of Bank account + Income times 12 = 800,000 Baht

This visa once approved allows you to stay in Thailand for a year. It DOES NOT allow you to work, unless you get a Work Permit. Also you have to report to Immigration Office every 90 days to confirm your current address. If you decide to leave country you will need to get a Re-Entry Permit at the Immigration Office. Retirement visa can be extended for up to 12 month.

You can find useful information on these sites:

Visa on Arrival on-line:

Share it!

See all reviews (5) or write your own review



Weather forecast for Koh Samui
© 2009 — 2019 SamuiDays.com

DDoS Protection Powered by Vistnet